Saturday, February 23, 2008

One for the team

Today I played cricket again. Because it is no longer entirely new, and also probably because I was determined to do my female athlete proud, I managed to lead my team to victory twice. I bowled out both key players of the other team with some spectacular (and of course not accidental) pitches. I felt I was successful in my endeavors when thier pitches to me got faster and faster, and when Sumit (who had repeatedly told me to make sure to keep my bat down) popped one up from a pitch of mine. I said "you know you should really keep your bat down, not up" and he pretended to hit me with the bat. Victory. Of course, thier expectations of me were so low that just about anything I did would have been surprising, but still. Non-highlights were when I hit the ball up into a balcony and a small girl grabbed it and would not give it back until her sister wrested it from her grasp after which she cried alot. oops. But I have decided that cricket is fun because everyone gets to 'play' every position.

I also have now said my first goodbye, to one of the students (Shazaad my team mate). He's not one of the ones who has been coming over so often recently, but I still was an awkward goodbye-er (I didnt' know if I hug would be ok, so after an awkward pause I decided for a handshake...) and it reminded me how much I detest them and how much I am not looking forward to them these next few days...I will say goodbye to the rest of the students tomorrow, well except for Utkarsh, who will be coming along to Varanasi.

2 comments:

R said...

Where did you go? I miss you.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are doing well, and having a great time!