Thursday, January 17, 2008

And for all your hard work...

Today I went to another eye camp. It was great, I like the eye screenings. I can now use an opthalmoscope, identify a cataract, distinguish between immature and mature cataracts, determine whether the patient has an intraocular lens, see whether there is a lens at all, identify a nacuna (sp?), recognize the words for "itchy" and "watering" and potentially appear in the paper again tomorrow. All of this thanks to Dr. Gauravbhai who let me sit beside him almost the whole time and answered my questions and explained things to me, which was really nice. I also went and sat in the room where they were doing the intraocular pressure test (for glaucoma) and the blood sugar, blood pressure tests. With a mix of Hindi and English (more English) the staff and I managed to communicate. I received a present at the end of the afternoon for "all my hard work", which I actually still haven't opened, come to think of it...
I really like the patients, each one coming to the table is like a new puzzle and I felt like a kid opening a christmas present or something when I got to look and try to see what was happening. Having written that I realize that it sounds bizarre and the combined imagery is just weird BUT that is how I felt. I think tomorrow I will be interacting with some of the Operation Candidates in the clinic or hospital and may even get to administer the eye dilation eyedrops. This is a very exciting developement in life.
Also today I spent some time standing on the roof and watching the street. The apartment is on the top floor of the building and they have a balcony that overlooks the city. It feels very spacious up there and I like being able to watch people without drawing any attention myself. And I mean that in a non-creepy way, if that's possible. yep.
At the eye screening site there were people setting up the wedding tent structures. Oh my what a procedure. I am excited for the wedding that I will attend this weekend : )

No comments: